Sunday, September 27, 2015

Winter Writing Wonderland

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm obsessed with weather. I have weather applications on all mobile devices, a state-of-the-art weather forecaster in my kitchen window and an amazing barometer/temperature reader in the barn. You see, it's not enough to know I feel cold, I want digital proof! Just this week I feel it in the air and see it in the changing leaves and slowly darkening days. Autumn is upon us with winter not far behind. Full disclosure--winter is not my favorite season, but this year I am going to try and take a different tact and embrace the season instead of fighting it.  I derived a lot of satisfaction in preparing for it yesterday as we mended the barn's front door so it will close properly come time and replaced broken fence boards. I'll get in a good store of hay and pick up my cleaned blankets. I'll be ready, but more than that. I'll stop trying to do what I can't in the winter (and feel bad about it) and instead use the time to do other things. And be OKAY with that. First and foremost on the list of those "other things" will be writing. When the siren call of the outdoors has lost it voice, yes, I'll be putting butt in chair, fingers on keyboard (or notebook) and finishing the first draft of what I believe is a very promising work in progress. And hopefully more.

Like preparing for the winter season, I'm now likewise preparing for a writing season. I've outlined (and I'm NOT a planner) key scenes in the work, drawn up character profiles, worked out timelines, and even attempted to learn a new word processor--Scrivener. I've researched historical background and even cut out inspiring pictures. I'm laying in the proverbial "firewood" to stoke up a blaze when I sit down and hammer out the ending. And edits, and more edits. The winter is almost here. How will you spend the season?

No comments:

Post a Comment