Monday, August 10, 2015

Know Your Audience




The latest book in the Free Rein Series
I have all of my books available on Kindle.  It’s great to be able to download the sales and lender reports each month and view which books have been purchased and from which country.

I am an Australian author and as such, my Free Rein series focuses on three young girls who have ponies in Victoria, Australia.  There are a lot of horse terms in Australia that readers from other countries may not be familiar with.  One such example is the word agistment.

Children’s author Deanie Humphrys-Dunne was kind enough to read and review one of the books in the series and separately she emailed me and suggested an inclusion of terms to my books.  The idea was that readers could turn to this and find the definition of such terms if they weren’t familiar with them.

This is a great recommendation that could improve my readers’ reading experience!  This is particularly so because my Kindle sales indicate that around 95% of my readers come from the United States and the United Kingdom.  I have now added an Australian Terms page to my Free Rein series website so that readers can do a bit of learning whilst finding out the latest Free Rein news.

What recommendation have you had regarding your writing that you’ve acted upon?

No comments:

Post a Comment